Blue Ribbon Traditional Popover Mix
A traditional popover mix by The Winterport Company. Just add eggs and milk to create a light and airy treat. Popovers can be filled with butter, jam, or ice cream and chocolate sauce. They also go great served with a nice prime rib dinner. Yields 8-12 popovers.
SECRETS TO SUCCESSFUL POPOVERS
Why do popovers pop?
Popovers pop because of the steam that forms inside them when they bake. Before the invention of baking powder in the 1850's, popovers were one of the few types of bread that cooks could make quickly. The name popover came about because the batter "popped over" the edge of the pan as it baked.
If your popovers don't "pop"...
- Use large eggs when making popovers. The right size eggs will help "set" the popovers.
- Stir the batter while filling the cups. Popover batter is thin and settles quickly, stir continuously while pouring.
- Under-grease the cups. Under-greasing the baking cups prevents the popovers from "popping". For large popovers, use 1 teaspoon of shortening, or generously spray the pan with a non-stick spray.
- Do not under-bake. Popovers should be baked for the time the full time the recipe indicates, or until very firm.
- Do not peek. Opening the door to peek while the popovers are baking lets in cool air, which can cause the popovers to fail.
- Prick with a fork. After removing popovers from the oven, prick each one with a fork to let steam escape. This prevents popovers from becoming soggy. For crisper popovers, turn off the oven, then return them to the oven for 5-10 minutes more or to desired crispness. Remove from pans while still warm.
- Serve hot from the oven, when possible. Popovers are best when served hot from the oven. If you have some left-over popovers, place them in a sealed freezer bag. Freeze for up to three months. Reheat frozen popovers on a shallow baking pan in a 400 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Net Weight: 11 oz
Ingredients: Unbleached Wheat Flour, Salt, Baking Soda.
Serving size: 1/4 cup dry mix (30g)
Servings per container: 10
Total Fat: 0g
Total Carbs.: 23g
Dietary Fiber: less than 1g